Aalto University is a community of bold thinkers where science and art meet technology and business. We are committed to identifying and solving grand societal challenges and building an innovative future. Aalto University has been ranked the 9th best young university in the world (Top 50 under 50, QS 2018) and one of the world’s top technology challenger universities (THE 2017), for its outside-the-box thinking on research collaboration, funding and innovation. Aalto has six schools with nearly 11 000 students and 4000 employees of whom close to 400 are professors. Our campuses are located in the capital area of Finland. With 37% of our academic faculty coming from outside Finland, we are a highly international community with a strong academic standing.
Aalto University, Design Factory is looking for a
Design Factory Global Network (DFGN) Coordinator
”Everybody is generous and at the same time very experienced about what they are doing and why they are doing it. I couldn’t imagine a better crew of people who can shepherd cats through hoops, then into a sandpit and come out of the end smiling. I think the collective smarts, generosity of spirit and df knowledge if it were distilled into a whisky would be a good brew.”
– Feedback from a DFGN member after an event in 2019
Is this a description of the team and its purpose you want to work with? Are you interested in sharing the passion of design-driven innovation and problem-based learning? Are you familiar with the Design Factory model and want to spread the love for interdisciplinary product development to new institutions and countries? If you think these questions are stating the obvious, then you are reading the right job description.
DFGN team is a small group of people working in Aalto Design Factory, Otaniemi, Espoo, Finland, Europe, Earth. Our team is on a mission to facilitate the creation of better learning experiences around the world. We do this in two ways. Firstly, we support the establishment of new Design Factories as they are setting up their own activities and platforms. Secondly, we develop the Design Factory Global Network and facilitate the collaboration between the members in the network. Currently, there are 30 Design Factories in the world, and more are interested to join the network.
The goal of our team is simple: to become the most exciting co-creation network for product development, design innovation and experimentation, while breaking down the physical and psychological barriers between the locations.
The position is a two-year, fixed-term appointment. The starting date is planned for mid-August 2020, but is negotiable.
Your role in the team is to help achieve the core mission of the DFGN. You will play a role in supporting the development of new Design Factories and the Design Factory Global Network as a whole. This includes, but is definitely not limited to, planning and organising events and professional development for representatives of international universities (incl, International Design Factory Week and Design Factory Bootcamp), supporting new Design Factories in their setting up phase, hosting international guests virtually and at Aalto Design Factory and initiating and coordinating collaboration projects between different Design Factories.
As a team we share the mundane tasks, and also you will get your share of fun administrative tasks related to the DFGN. We also support the work of Aalto Design Factory when necessary. The working language in the position is English, and we enjoy being part of the diverse ADF community. The role will include some travel abroad, however we also expect you to embrace the new normal of finding brilliant virtual solutions for the network.
You will be a qualified candidate for the coordinator position if you hold a university degree within a relevant field. In addition, we expect you to have
- Fluent skills in both written and spoken English language. Knowledge of any other language is an advantage
- Studies or professional experience in product development/engineering, design innovation or similar
- Excellent communication skills (both written and spoken)
- Diligence for project management, event coordination and administrative tasks
What helps you hit the ground running in this role is:
- Experience in any Design Factory in the world
- Initiative, entrepreneurial attitude and a drive to get things done. 10% planning, 90% doing.
- Curiosity, which for us also means an interest to understand and engage in a wide variety of topics from pedagogical development to spatial design to prototyping.
- Appreciation for experimentation culture and a solid track record of using small tests, pilots and prototypes to make anything happen.
- A passion for the coaching mentality, and a desire to be the best facilitator in the world
- Jack-of-all-trades -attitude; a capability to navigate different situations and environments from student events to discussing academic research and pitching to industry representatives.
- The desire to stand up in front of people highly skeptical of your message and aim to get them excited about our mission
- The ability to read this intimidating description of a unicorn and to know how you can build on it.
Salary is about 3000 € per month. Aalto University follows the salary system of Finnish universities.
How to apply
To apply for the position, please submit your application containing
- Motivation letter (1-2 pages)
The applications for the coordinator position are to be submitted through the eRecruitment system no later than on May 31st 2020.
Aalto University reserves the right for justified reasons to leave the position open, to extend the application period and to consider candidates who have not submitted applications during the application period.
For more information
For additional information, please contact DFGN Manager Päivi Oinonen, or in recruitment process related questions HR-coordinator Merja Seppanen email@example.com .