VTT is a visionary research, development and innovation partner. We drive sustainable growth and tackle the biggest global challenges of our time and turn them into growth opportunities. We go beyond the obvious to help the society and companies to grow through technological innovations. We have over 75 years of experience of top-level research and science-based results. VTT´s turnover and other operating income is 258 M€. VTT is at the sweet spot where innovation and business come together.
VTT – beyond the obvious. www.vttresearch.com
We are establishing a new VTT Design studio within our Commercial Operations organization to bring human-centric design tools, skills and culture to the VTT organization. The VTT Design team will contribute to VTT’s success in the following ways
- Design in Research. Working alongside researchers, using design methods and tools to make sure VTT innovations address real human needs, rapidly co-creating and testing innovative solutions with real customers and users
- VTT Customer Experience. Applying service design to ensure our direct customers’ needs are met in the best possible way. Helping VTT become truly customer-centric.
- Design Culture. Driving awareness and appreciation for design across VTT. Enabling VTTers to use design tools and methods independently in their own work
VTT Design is now looking for a Design Lead to take an important role in establishing the studio and helping us amplify and accelerate VTT’s strategy and mission.
Do you have a deep understanding of and passion for service design? Do you also have another related craft skill such as interaction design, visual design or prototyping? Do you want to have a job with real purpose? Do you want to help create a more sustainable future? Do you want to use your design skills to solve the biggest global problems? Are you audacious enough to believe you can change the world? If you find yourself answering ‘Yes’ to these questions, please read on!
With us you will be responsible for
You will take a key role within the new VTT Design studio. You will lead design projects from beginning to end. You will also lead, mentor and guide more junior team members. You will help us shape our vision, craft, our ways of working and our culture.
Concretely you will
- Engage internal and external customers to define scope, brief, approach and plan for design projects
- Lead the delivery of design projects
- Manage expectations of relevant stakeholders before during and after projects
- Conclude projects by conducting retrospectives, assessing impact and recommending next steps
- Proactively lead, manage, coach and otherwise support the project team (including designers, researchers and others not from VTT Design) towards an excellent conclusion
- Ensure quality of delivery of project
- Act as a senior member of the VTT Design team, proactively helping us build our craft, culture and impact
We expect you to have
- Track record of leading service design projects (please share your portfolio when you apply)
- Likely 4+ years of relevant experience within a professional design studio environment
- Expert level skills in service design
- Strong skills in at least one other craft area: interaction design, visual design, prototyping
- Able to lead teams that combine service design, business design, visual design, interaction design prototyping etc.
- Ideally: Some additional craft skills such as video production, photography, physical prototyping
- Professional working fluency in English
As a person you are
- Purpose driven. You understand and buy-into VTT’s vision, mission and the impact we can have
- Able to relate to and collaborate with a wide range of personality types and skillsets from around VTT
- Highly emotional intelligent, able to promote psychological safety within the team
- Energetic and proactive
- Brave with a buoyant, positive attitude
- A clear communicator
The chance to be part of something new and special. The opportunity to work on the biggest global challenges. The unique opportunity to grow and expand your design career by working on a broad variety of cutting-edge topics, together with truly world-class researchers, scientists and engineers. The prospect of being part of introducing new skills, ideas and methods to VTT and having a wide impact on the organization and in society.
For further information
Please send your application with salary request — including your portfolio — as soon as possible, as we will review them as we receive them, but latest by 28th January 2019.
For more information about the position, please contact Niall Shakeshaft, Vice President, Head of Design, +358 40 631 3940 during the following timeslots: Wednesday 16th January 9.00-10.00, Monday 21st January 15:00-16:00.