Senior UX/UI Designer / Columbia Road
We are looking for full-stack designers who want their creative work to have a bigger impact than just creating the look & feel of the products and services you’re working on. As a consultant in digital sales, you will work right there in the core of our clients’ business.
Who we are
Columbia Road builds seamless and commercially effective customer journeys that create impact. We help our clients get more revenue and more customers, but also to sell better. Our tight-knit team consists of business consultants who understand software and of highly talented business-driven design and technology specialists.
Currently, we have over 20 nationalities working in the company and the official language is English. Our company spirit is one of a true start-up, but with a twist of hard-core experience. We believe in giving a lot of responsibility and freedom to our employees. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are at the heart of our essence and everyone at Columbia Road is committed to these values.
Columbia Road has grown from 0 to over 140 exceptionally talented people in 6 years and in two countries. We are proud of the high customer satisfaction we have achieved as a result of focusing on people and creating concrete, measurable business impact for our clients every day.
Take a look at our Culture Code & People to get to know us better. We come 100% recommended on Glassdoor with a 4.8/5 score.
Columbia Road is a part of the Futurice family of companies.
We are now recruiting in Tampere for the first time ever, and we have ambitious business goals in the area (we always do). As a UX/UI consultant in Columbia Road’s Tampere team, you will be working in a high-impact role in the core of our clients’ businesses. You’ll have an integral role in building the Tampere team, your contribution will have a significant influence on our local operations.
You want your creative work to have a bigger impact than just creating the look & feel of the products and services you’re working on. You have the skills and courage to investigate, analyse and suggest both small experiments as well as bold moves to your clients.
You’re great at communicating visually: your designs make complex and abstract things appear understandable and as impactful as possible.
There are no silver bullets for complex problems. Business-driven design is more than a beautiful UI. You need to think about the impact of your design and have a curiosity for tracking it.
Design & technology are tools for doing better business. Digital sales, or any sales, can’t be operated as an IT project and the whole organisation needs to understand that. This is our mission.
As our Tampere team is still fairly new, an interest in contributing to areas such as recruitment, sales, supporting others and building the Columbia Road culture is highly valued.
You can also read about our designer Juuli’s experiences of switching from an in-house designer to a consultant, or her thoughts about what it means for a designer to be business-minded.
Professional benefits for you
- A high-impact role as a trusted advisor to important stakeholders – your contribution will create a significant impact on the client’s and Columbia Road’s success
- Opportunity to have an integral part in our Tampere operations
- Participating in account management and framing our sales offering, should you be interested
- Working directly with the client – no middle management involved
- A clear focus on digital sales, in both B2C and B2B
- You’ll have the best people to work with and learn from in a truly flat organisation
- A diverse and inclusive workplace
Skills and experience we expect you to have:
- A broad set of design skills from Service Design to UX and UI. You don’t need to excel at all of the fields but to have your own focus area and an understanding of the others.
- Experience in facilitating workshops and user interviews
- Experience in working with developers
- Know-how to communicate with business stakeholders. It’s a plus if you’ve done consulting before.
- You master the proper tooling (Sketch, Figma or similar) to visualise your ideas with sketches, layouts, prototypes and finalised design elements
- It would be very valuable if you have previous experience in conceptualising and building digital customer channels, ecommerce services or webshops.
- Great communication skills
Please show us your portfolio. We want to see your process and the final outcome of your design.
Location and language: The way we work with our clients involves very close and constant collaboration – typically at the clients’ premises. As for language skills, our working language is English. Finnish, on the other hand, is not a requirement (about 25% of our current designers are international), but it’s still a plus since some of our clients do need Finnish speaking designers.
The recruitment process usually has 1-3 steps during which we get to know who you are and what motivates you. You will learn more about Columbia Road and get to meet different people from our company. You’ll have the opportunity to present highlights from your career and tell us about your skills, roles, and learnings.
We’re committed to creating a good match between you and our organisation, and want to spend time to get it right. Sometimes, an assignment might be given to you to complete between interviews.
When we’re done with the face-to-face discussions, we’ll contact the people you have chosen as references.
We hope to hear from you soon!
- As a Columbia Road employee, you have the option to buy stocks of the company through the common employee share program
- A yearly bonus based on company performance (equal to all full-time Roadies)
- Flexible remote working and a shared office with Futurice in Tampella + brick-n-mortar office in downtown Helsinki
- Even in a hybrid work environment, we create new ways to interact with other Roadies; exclusive exercise and outdoor activities and remote workspaces for individual teams are a few examples of this.
- Lunch benefit
- Phone benefit
- Pick the laptop and phone of your choosing
- Health care & service, including dental and mental health
- Childcare services when your child falls ill
- Insurance for travel and free-time
- Recurring training & learning sessions
- Wellness and personal development (tools, events, etc.) reimbursement
- Weekly breakfasts & healthy daily refreshments
- Sports, culture & massage vouchers
- Bike benefit
- Company-wide excursion trips
- Option to have housing as a part of total compensation (tax-deductible)
- Compensation for working on open source or social programs in your free time
Currently, we have over 20 nationalities working in the company and the official language is English. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are at the heart of our essence and everyone at Columbia Road is committed to these values.