UX/UI Designer / Columbia Road Oy
Are you a design student or soon-to-be graduate motivated by driving measurable impact on business? Do you thrive in collaboration and want to learn more about consulting as a UX/UI designer? Great! As a design associate at Columbia Road you’ll get to grow professionally while utilizing your design toolset to help our customers grow their businesses. Read more and find out if Columbia Road could be the right place for you!
Who we are
In 2016 Columbia Road was founded to challenge the old ways of doing digital business and running online sales – we exist to help our clients sell better in the digital era. This means we don’t do IT projects like most other companies, instead we work to improve our clients’ business results in a measurable way. Design, development, strategy, marketing and data engineering just happen to be the tools with which we create our impact.
A key part of our mission is to be an excellent place to work. We are a community-led organisation, which means that we trust our employees to make the best decisions about their work themselves. This company model is based on transparency and low hierarchy. All employees have the opportunity to be involved in company-wide decision-making, and the chance to become an owner of Columbia Road by investing in company stocks. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are at the heart of how we define ourselves and everyone at Columbia Road is committed to these values. We come recommended with a 4.9/5 score on Glassdoor and are always looking for new ways to be better.
What you’ll work with: As a UX/UI designer, you understand the client and their customers. You utilise design tools and design thinking to improve how clients operate and interact with their customers. You may, for example, prioritise use cases and features, create and user-test prototypes, as well as make final UI and UX designs. You will often collaborate with developers to make your designs a reality. We work in multi-disciplinary teams, so you’ll also get to work with marketing specialists, strategy consultants, as well as our clients’ personnel and stakeholders. We don’t require you to code (most of our designers don’t do that), but if you do, it’s definitely a bonus.
What it means to be business minded: You want your creative work to have a bigger impact than just creating a beautiful and delightful look & feel or UX for the products and services you’re working on. This means excellent design is a tool for achieving great results, not a goal in itself. You have the skills and courage to investigate, analyse and suggest both small experiments as well as bold moves to your clients.
How you’ll get to grow: If you’re looking for a workplace where you get a lot of responsibility and where you get to learn about a wide variety of projects, clients and industries, you’ll find it here. To support you on this journey, we have created a purpose-built training schedule for our Associates complemented by regular mentoring sessions, as well as strong support from more senior Roadies.
- You are a student or recent graduate with some work experience or projects related to designing digital experiences and interfaces. We don’t expect you to have multiple years of experience. We also don’t require you to be in the final years of your studies, so don’t hesitate to apply regardless of your year of study.
- Your toolkit includes a handful of design tools you’re already proficient with — those tools might include some of these: prototyping, user personas and journeys, service blueprints, Figma, Sketch, Photoshop, Marvel, or data analysis. We understand that your toolkit will expand and our senior experts provide support in learning new methods and skills.
- You have an interest in helping companies to become more digital and help them grow their business. You understand the basics of digitalisation.
- You are self-driven, active and want to continuously learn new things. Lots of positive energy and a “getting things done” attitude is the winning combination.
- You are comfortable in communicating matters related to your own work and you enjoy working with other people in an agile environment. It’s not a problem for you to present your own ideas to a group of people from time to time, for example in a workshop.
- By nature, you are analytical and like to solve problems. You are able to bring clarity to uncertain and chaotic situations. You are ambitious and results-oriented in everything you do, but you like to have fun as well.
Please show us your portfolio. We want to see your process and the final outcome of your design.
Location: We value close and constant collaboration in our team work – whether it’s with customers, fellow Roadies and/or consultants from other companies – as it enables us to learn from each other and work more efficiently towards a shared goal. Often this is achieved best by working from the same location. Hence, we can only consider candidates who live (or plan to move) within commuting distance of Helsinki
Note: We are currently not able to offer visa sponsorships for Finland, so, unfortunately, we can’t consider applications from outside EU/EEA.
- A community-led organization with a high level of autonomy
- As a Columbia Road employee, you have the option to buy stocks of the company through the common employee share program
- A yearly bonus based on company performance (equal to all full-time Roadies)
- Recurring training & learning sessions to support your professional growth
- A diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace
- Offices in downtown Helsinki (with gym and pool) and Tampere
- Pick the laptop and digital tools of your choosing
- Extensive health care services, including dental and mental health
- Insurance for travel and free-time
- Lunch benefit
- Mobile phone subscription
- Weekly breakfasts & healthy daily refreshments
- Flexible vouchers for sports, culture, commuting, and massage
- Recurring Roadie-ideated events and activities
- Childcare services when your child falls ill
- Compensation for working on open source or social programs in your free time
Take a look at our Culture Code to get to know us better.
The deadline for applications is November 27th, 2022 (Sunday). The interview process consists of a short video phase, and one interview round where you will meet two of our designers. Both of these phases will be conducted for selected candidates in December. After sending your application, you can expect to hear back from us by December 8th, and you will be notified of the status of your application at each stage.
The Associate Program is a full-time summer job. It’s also possible to start working part-time already during spring or even winter, as most summer roadies have done in previous years. The start date and possible holidays during the summer will be discussed and set together with the selected candidates. After the summer, if expectations have been met from both sides, there’s a possibility to continue part-time while you finish your studies (or full-time if you’re graduating).
Apply / Hae paikkaa.